Sunday, August 9, 2015

Stepping Off Yardages

Very few of us are good enough to worry about whether, from the fairway, the pin is 160 yard away or 158. I'm not, but around the green, two yards makes a world of difference to me.

I don't assume my pace is one yard long when I step off a shot. I know exactly how long it is.

I went to a baseball diamond and walked off the distance between third and second, counting my steps. I walked back to third, counting again just make sure.

It took me 35 steps, and to cover 90 feet (30 yards), that's 6/7 of a yard per step.

I made up a card that I keep in my bag showing how far I walk with any number of steps from 1 to 20. If I take 11 steps, that’s 9.4 yards.

When I walk off short pitches, chips, and putts, I know exactly how far it is. That's one step closer to hitting the ball stone dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment