Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Golf's Most Important Two Inches

Note: I got a bit behind on keeping this blog up to date. Expect a now post every few days. Sorry!


You're never going to hear the end of this from me. It's the most important swing fundamental there is. Your hands have to lead the clubhead.

A few weeks ago, I changed it to, the handle moves in harmony with the clubhead. Too wordy.

How about the handle leads the clubhead?

Whatever you call it, you see it demonstrated here by our new U.S. Open champion, Brooks Koepka. His hands got to the ball before the clubhead did. Not by much, only about two inches. But that's all it needs to be.


If you're not used to swinging through this position, it feels like your hands are two feet ahead of the clubhead, but they're not. They're ahead by just a little bit. But it's the most important little bit in golf.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. Love you site! I'm left handed, so thanks for that as well. I've noticed when I complete a strike, often I will see the back of my right hand facing me and it is dorsi-flexed which leads me to believe I'm flipping. However, my divots are certainly past the ball, I 'feel' my hands are ahead of the ball at impact and the ball feels to be compressed. I guess my question is: Am I leading with my hands, striking the ball first then the turf, yet still flipping? Any thoughts? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. blueghost: Thank you for your pleasant comment!

    You can flip the club and still hit the ball first, ground second if you have the talent to pull it off. See this video of what the club should be doing though impact: https://youtu.be/SyEEVZJHmnY

    A good way to learn the correct technique and its feel is to take a slow swing and when your hands get back down to hip height, let go with your left hand. Unless you are very strong, it will not be possible to continue swinging through the ball without the right hand behaving itself.

    ReplyDelete